Undergraduate students who are regularly enrolled as degree-seeking students at another college or university may enroll as transient students through the Division of Unclassified Studies. These students generally intend to earn credit at Vanderbilt for transfer back to their home institution.
Transient students may register for undergraduate courses through the Division of Unclassified Studies (DUS) during a maximum of two regular semesters and a summer term. To be considered for admission to DUS, transient students must be in good academic standing at their home institution and be eligible to return to that institution. Transient students should work closely with their home institution to ensure that the coursework they take at Vanderbilt is approved for transfer to the home institution.
Students who have been denied admission to one of Vanderbilt’s undergraduate or graduate/professional schools are not eligible to enroll in the Division of Unclassified Studies for one year after the term for which they were denied admission to the degree-granting school.
Instructions for Completing the Application
- Complete the Transient application online. For assistance with the online application, please review the DUS Application User Guide.
- Request an official transcript from each school you have attended.
- To be considered for admission, application and supporting materials must be received in the Office of the University Registrar one week before classes start for the term or session you wish to attend.
Once accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies, transient students are responsible for the following:
- Request pre-approval from the home institution for all courses for which the student intends to earn transfer credit
- Meet all prerequisites for courses in which the student expects to enroll
- Maintain a 2.0 grade point average and earn no grade lower than a C on courses taken while in the Division of Unclassified Studies
- Pay tuition and fees by the payment deadline (registrations are subject to cancellations for students who have not paid in full by the payment deadline)
- Enroll in courses at the undergraduate level
When grades have been posted, DUS students are encouraged to send the Transcript Request Form to the Office of the University Registrar to request that grades be sent to their home institution.