Skip to main content


How can I be admitted as a DUS student?

Admission applications and related forms are available on this website, or by calling the Office of the University Registrar at 615-322-7701. Admissions decisions are based on the ability of the Division of Unclassified Studies to meet a student’s educational goals and needs and predictions for the student’s success in their proposed course of study.

International students seeking admission to the Division of Unclassified Studies must reside in the United States at the time of application with an active visa status as issued by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services for admission consideration.

All application materials should be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the term for which admission is sought. Application materials should be mailed to:

Division of Unclassified Studies
Vanderbilt University
Office of the University Registrar
PMB 407701
110 21st Avenue South, Suite 110
Nashville, TN 37240-7701

When the application is complete and the admissions committee has reviewed the file, the admissions decision will be emailed directly to the student.

How do I register once I am admitted?

Division of Unclassified Studies students register in the Office of the University Registrar. Students are emailed a registration packet each term that includes the date and time of registration. When making course selections, it is important to remember that students are responsible for meeting all prerequisites for Vanderbilt courses in which they hope to enroll.

How, when and where do I pay for my course(s)?

Students will be charged tuition through the Office of Student Accounts. All students must pay their  tuition and fees  in full by the published payment deadlines. Registrations are subject to cancellation for any student with a balance due past the deadline for each term.

Students enrolled in the Division of Unclassified Studies are not charged student activity or Recreation Center fees, and do not have access to the Recreation Center or student health services.

Division of Unclassified Studies students are not eligible for financial aid.

What is the Honor System?

All Vanderbilt University students are expected to abide by the Honor System. This involves students producing their own work without any help from any outside sources unless by acknowledgement as prescribed by a professor. The Honor System also applies to examinations, written work and computer programs submitted to a professor.