Faculty or Staff Members
Vanderbilt University faculty, staff, and their spouses may take courses for undergraduate college credit through the Division of Unclassified Studies, so long as they are not pursuing a degree at Vanderbilt. Faculty, staff, and their spouses must apply and be accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies prior to registering for courses. All regular admission criteria apply to students in this category.
Vanderbilt University faculty, staff, and their spouses who qualify can receive a tuition discount for one three-credit course each semester (including a fourth credit for lab, if required) and up to three courses per school year. Faculty and staff should contact the HR Benefits Office for more information concerning this option. Allow at least 60 days to process a tuition discount request.
Instructions for Completing the Application
- Download the Adult Learner Application and save.
- Complete the application, including personal statement and signature.
- Request an official transcript from each school you have attended.
- Submit the application, along with a non-refundable $50 (USD) application fee, to the Office of the University Registrar:
Office of the University Registrar
Division of Unclassified Studies
110 21st Avenue South, Suite 110
Nashville TN 37240-7701
5. Application and supporting materials must be received in the Office of the University Registrar by the published deadline to be considered for admission.
Admitted StudentsOnce accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies, faculty and staff are responsible for the following:
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA and earn no grade lower than a “C” in a course taken while enrolled in the Division of Unclassified Studies.
- Meet all prerequisites for courses in which you hope to enroll.
- All tuition and fees must be paid in full by the published payment deadlines. Registrations are subject to cancellation for students with balances due past the deadline for each term.
Course Audit Form for Full-Time Faculty and Full-Time Staff
Full-time faculty and full-time staff of Vanderbilt University, and their spouses, are permitted to audit one Vanderbilt course per semester. Tuition will be waived. No official transcript will be kept. The faculty or staff member must be approved by HR under the guidelines of the Education Assistance Programs policy. Faculty or staff members must also have the approval of their supervisor. The Office of the University Registrar will determine whether or not the course can be audited, and will register the student as an auditor. To apply to audit a course, please complete the following form:
All audit requests must be submitted to HR by:
- Fall semester: August 15
- Spring semester: January 1
- Full-term summer session: May 1
- First-half summer session: June 1
- Second-half summer session: July 1