The Division of Unclassified Studies provides an opportunity for adults who wish to enroll in an undergraduate course at Vanderbilt for personal enrichment. In addition, students who have graduated from college may enroll as adult learners to complete prerequisites for a future graduate or professional program.
Students who have been denied admission to one of Vanderbilt’s undergraduate or graduate/professional schools are not eligible to enroll in the Division of Unclassified Studies for one year after the term for which they were denied admission to the degree-granting school.
Instructions for Completing the Application
- Download the Adult Learner Application and save.
- Complete the application, including personal statement and signature.
- Request an official transcript from each school that you have attended.
- Submit the application, along with a non-refundable $50 (USD) application fee, to the Office of the University Registrar:
Office of the University Registrar
Division of Unclassified Studies
110 21st Avenue South, Suite 110
Nashville TN 37240-7701
5. Application and supporting materials must be received in the Office of the University Registrar by the published deadline to be considered for admission.
Once accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies, Adult Learners are responsible for the following:
- Meet all prerequisites for courses in which the student expects to enroll
- Maintain a 2.0 grade point average and earn no grade lower than a C on courses taken while in the Division of Unclassified Studies
- Pay tuition and fees by the payment deadline (registrations are subject to cancellations for students who have not paid in full by the payment deadline)
- Enroll in courses at the undergraduate level
Students who do not meet the above requirements will be ineligible to continue enrollment in the Division of Unclassified Studies.
Any interested person not affiliated with Vanderbilt as a faculty/staff member or current student may register as an auditor, subject to the approval of the instructor and the school offering the class. Please complete the Community Auditor Application. Enrollment in the requested class is subject to the approval of the instructor and the school offering the course. Enrollment is dependent on seat availability at the time the class starts. First-time students will be charged a $100 transcript fee; additional fees may be charged based on the policies of the school offering the course.