The Division of Unclassified Studies provides an opportunity for high school students who meet certain criteria to enroll in undergraduate courses at Vanderbilt University while they are enrolled in high school.
A high school student seeking enrollment at Vanderbilt must be:
- In good academic standing at his or her school;
- A junior or senior;
- Ranked in the upper 25% of his or her high school class; and
- Recommended by the academic dean, school counselor, or other appropriate school official.
Each DUS student must also receive confirmation from his or her high school that courses taken at Vanderbilt fulfill high school graduation requirements.
Admission as a high school student through the Division of Unclassified Studies does not commit Vanderbilt to admitting a student through the undergraduate application process.
Students who have been denied admission to one of Vanderbilt’s undergraduate or graduate/professional schools are not eligible to enroll in the Division of Unclassified Studies for one year after the term for which they were denied admission to the degree-granting school.
Instructions for Completing the Application
- Complete the Pre-Freshman application online. For assistance with the online application, please review the DUS Application User Guide.
- To be considered for admission, application and supporting materials must be received in the Office of the University Registrar one week before classes start for the term or session you wish to attend.
Once accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies, high school students are responsible for the following:
- Meet all prerequisites for courses in which the student expects to enroll
- Maintain a 2.0 grade point average and earn no grade lower than a C on courses taken while in the Division of Unclassified Studies
- Pay tuition and fees by the payment deadline (registrations are subject to cancellations for students who have not paid in full by the payment deadline)
- Enroll in courses at the undergraduate level
Students who do not meet the above requirements will be ineligible to continue enrollment in the Division of Unclassified Studies.