Skip to main content

Name Update

Legal Name Change

Any current or former student may file a request for a name change with the Office of the University Registrar. Name change requests must be accompanied by supporting documentation such as:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Court Order
  • Divorce Decree
  • Marriage Certificate

Please note: A driver’s license or Social Security card is not valid documentation for a name change.

If the request for a name change is approved, the change will be made in the student records system.

Please print the name change request form below and send to the Office of the University Registrar with documentation.

Name Change Request Form

Mail requests for name changes to:

Office of the University Registrar
Vanderbilt University
PMB 407701
Nashville, TN 37240-7701

Important note: If you are employed in any capacity at Vanderbilt, you must also report your name change and submit supporting documentation to the Human Resources Processing Office on the 10th floor of the Baker Building. The HR Personal Information Change Form is available online.

Preferred Name Request

Currently enrolled students who wish to request that a preferred name appear on the class roll should complete the Preferred Name Form and return the completed form to the Office of the University Registrar.

Preferred Name Form

Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Students

Transgender and gender non-conforming students seeking guidance regarding navigating Vanderbilt’s name systems should see the Office of LGBTQI Life Trans@VU web resource: