Skip to main content

Citizenship Update

A student who has a change of citizenship may update their student record by submitting copies of their documentation to the Office of the University Registrar in person, by fax, or by mail. Change of citizenship forms and documents are not accepted via email.

To request a change in citizenship status, the student must provide proof of that change by providing the following documentation:

  • A completed Citizenship Update Form; and
  • Vanderbilt Student ID or other form of ID such as Driver’s License or Passport; and
  • Documentation of Citizenship Change
    • Permanent Resident Card; or
    • Certificate of Naturalization; or
    • U.S. Passport (if U.S. citizen); or
    • Asylee: USCIS Form I-94 (Admission class of AY) with “USCIS Asylum Status Granted Indefinitely” stamp & date and signature of agent & Residence Code (A Number); or
    • Refugee: USCIS Form I-94 (Admission class of RE) with stamped notation of refugee immigration status, which includes arrival date / INS Number / Employment authorization

Return the Citizenship Update Form and acceptable documentation in person to the Office of the University Registrar in Baker Building Suite 110 or by mail or fax to:

  • Office of the University Registrar
    Vanderbilt University
    PMB 407701
    Nashville, TN 37240-7701
  • Fax: (615) 343-7709

Important Note (ISSS): Students who are not U.S. permanent residents or citizens and would like to update their non-immigrant visa status should contact International Student & Scholar Services office at and provide updated status documentation. The ISSS will then notify the Office of the University Registrar of the change and will provide the registrar’s office with the appropriate documentation required to update the Visa and/or citizenship status on the student’s record.

Important Note (Financial Aid): If a change of citizenship has made a student eligible to apply for federal financial aid and the student wishes to apply for said aid, the student must also appear in person at Vanderbilt University Office of Student Financial Aid and Undergraduate Scholarships to provide original U.S. birth certificate, passport, or any other item that can document United States citizenship status.