Home » VA Educational Benefits

VA Educational Benefits

Photo Credit: HeatherBradleyPhotography via Compfight cc

To Apply for VA Educational Benefits

Students should request a certificate of eligibility (COE) from the VA at (888) 442-4551 or Apply for Benefits Online.

Applying for Initial VA Educational Benefits at Vanderbilt

The following documents are required to begin your VA educational benefits:

  • A copy of the DD-214 documents (the service member’s discharge papers).
  • Transcripts from all previous institutions (required even if veterans’ educational benefits were not used at the other institution).
  • Joint Services Transcript (JST), Air University Transcript, and/or Community College of the Air Force Transcript (if a transcript has been issued to the veteran).
  • A copy of the most recent Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued to the student.
  • If you have previously used veterans’ educational benefits at another institution, you must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) to list Vanderbilt University as your new school.



Applying for Continuing VA Educational Benefits at Vanderbilt

Students receiving VA educational benefits must submit the following forms each semester in which they are requesting VA educational benefits.

VA-1 Form for Chapter 33 and the most recent Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued to the student.


VA-1 Form and the most recent Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued to the student.

All completed forms should be returned to the VA School Certifying Official in the Office of the University Registrar by mail, email, or fax.

  • VA School Certifying Official
    Office of the University Registrar
    Vanderbilt University
    PMB 407701
    Nashville, TN 37240-7701
  • Emailed forms will only be accepted through the secure file transfer process: [The secure file transfer process will require a student to enter the student's Vanderbilt email address followed by the student's epassword.] university.registrar@vanderbilt.edu
  • Fax: (615) 343-7709

If you have additional questions, please call our office at (615) 322-7701 or send an email to university.registrar@vanderbilt.edu.

Information on VA Educational Benefits Chapters

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

Chapter 32 – Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill

Chapter 35 – Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA)

Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Veteran State Benefits in Tennessee

TN Department of Veteran Services