Home » VA Educational Benefits
VA Educational Benefits
To Apply for VA Educational Benefits
Students should request a certificate of eligibility (COE) from the VA at (888) 442-4551 or Apply for Benefits Online.
Applying for Initial VA Educational Benefits at Vanderbilt
The following documents are required to begin your VA educational benefits:
- A copy of the DD-214 documents (the service member’s discharge papers).
- Transcripts from all previous institutions (required even if veterans’ educational benefits were not used at the other institution).
- Joint Services Transcript (JST), Air University Transcript, and/or Community College of the Air Force Transcript (if a transcript has been issued to the veteran).
- A copy of the most recent Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued to the student.
- If you have previously used veterans’ educational benefits at another institution, you must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) to list Vanderbilt University as your new school.
- A VA-1 Form for Chapter 33 to authorize Vanderbilt to certify your educational benefits to the VA and a Yellow Ribbon Program Application (if you are requesting yellow ribbon program benefits).
- A VA-1 Form for all other chapters to authorize Vanderbilt to certify your educational benefits to the VA.
In order to expedite the processing of VA educational benefits, it is recommended that students who wish to use VA educational benefits adhere to the following deadlines.
- Fall semester: submit all required documents by July 1.
- Spring semester: submit all required documents by November 1.
- Summer semester: submit all required documents by March 1.
Students who cannot provide all documents by these deadlines should consult with a VA School Certifying Official in the Office of the University Registrar prior to the deadline.
Applying for Continuing VA Educational Benefits at Vanderbilt
Students receiving VA educational benefits must submit the following forms each semester in which they are requesting VA educational benefits.
VA-1 Form for Chapter 33 and the most recent Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued to the student.
VA-1 Form and the most recent Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued to the student.
All completed forms should be returned to the VA School Certifying Official in the Office of the University Registrar by mail, email, or fax.
If you have additional questions, please call our office at (615) 322-7701 or send an email to email@example.com.