Skip to main content

External Degree Verifications

The Office of the University Registrar is responsible for verifying the completion of external degrees for incoming freshmen and graduate/professional students. In consultation with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the admissions offices for the graduate and professional schools, we ensure that all incoming students have completed the degrees required for admission to Vanderbilt.

Information about the verification of Vanderbilt degrees is available here.

Incoming Freshmen

All incoming freshmen must provide a copy of their official final high school transcript. Students who have not submitted a final, official transcript during their first semester will not be able to register for classes for future terms.

Graduate and Professional Students

Official verification of prior degrees is required for any new student who has earned a university degree prior to enrolling at Vanderbilt. All entering graduate and professional students must submit final, official transcripts (and any necessary supporting documentation) in order to register for classes for their first semester at Vanderbilt. Students who have not submitted required documentation by the first day of classes are subject to cancelation.

A final, official transcript should list the degree(s) awarded and the month and year of conferment.

International Students

Vanderbilt must receive official copies of transcripts, certificates, and diplomas from the issuing institution (or the Ministry of Education or Higher Education Commissions depending on country). Documents should be in both English and the native language. If the institution does not provide English translations, students are responsible for obtaining a certified word-for-word English translation.

Information about specific documents required from each country is available here.

Documents must be provided in sealed, stamped envelopes from the institution attended. The documents themselves should be stamped as official by the issuing institution or ministry.

Institutions that belong to countries who are signatories of the Bologna Accord need to provide an official English Diploma Supplement along with the native academic transcripts. Institutions in these countries do not need to provide an official copy of the diploma, as the degree will be listed in the Diploma Supplement.

International students with questions about the prior degree verification process may contact the External Education team at  

Submitting Transcripts and Other Required Documentation

Transcripts and other required documentation should be sent to the Office of the University Registrar. In order to be considered official, transcripts and other documents must be sent directly from the issuing institution to Vanderbilt University.

Office of the University Registrar
Vanderbilt University
PMB 407701
Nashville, TN 37240-7701

Some institutions provide secure electronic delivery of official transcripts. These submissions may be made to Due to the requirement that documents from international institutions must be provided in sealed, stamped envelopes from the institution attended, the secure electronic delivery option is not available for international institutions. 

In certain cases, we may be able to accept a transcript provided directly to the student in a sealed envelope, signed by the issuing institution.