Home » Division of Unclassified Studies (DUS) » Transient Students

Transient Students

Undergraduate students who are regularly enrolled as degree-seeking students at another college or university may enroll as transient students through the Division of Unclassified Studies. These students generally intend to earn credit at Vanderbilt for transfer back to their home institution.

Transient students may register for undergraduate courses through the Division of Unclassified Studies (DUS) during a maximum of two regular semesters and a summer term. To be considered for admission to DUS, transient students must be in good academic standing at their home institution and be eligible to return to that institution. Transient students should work closely with their home institution to ensure that the coursework they take at Vanderbilt is approved for transfer to the home institution.

Instructions for Completing the Application

  1. Download the Transient Application and save.
  2. Complete the application, including personal statement and signature.
  3. Request an official transcript from each school you have attended.
  4. Request a Statement of Good Standing from your home institution.
  5. Submit the application, along with the application fee ($50 USD), to the Office of the University Registrar:

Vanderbilt University
Office of the University Registrar
Division of Unclassified Studies
PMB 407701
110 21st Avenue South, Suite 110
Nashville TN 37240-7701

Admitted Students

Once accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies, transient students are responsible for the following:

  • Request pre-approval from the home institution for all courses for which the student intends to earn transfer credit
  • Meet all prerequisites for courses in which the student expects to enroll
  • Maintain a 2.0 grade point average and earn no grade lower than a C on courses taken while in the Division of Unclassified Studies
  • Pay tuition and fees by the payment deadline (registrations are subject to cancellations for students who have not paid in full by the payment deadline)
  • Enroll in courses at the undergraduate level

When grades have been posted, DUS students are encouraged to send the Transcript Request Form to the Office of the University Registrar to request that grades be sent to their home institution.

Frequently Asked Questions | The Honor System