Faculty/Staff Members and their spouses
Faculty/Staff members and their spouses, who are not pursuing a degree, may take courses for college credit through the Division of Unclassified Studies. All regular admission criteria apply to students in this category.
Faculty/Staff members and their spouses who qualify can receive a tuition discount for one three-hour course each semester (including a fourth hour for lab, if required) and up to three courses per school year. Staff should contact the HR Benefits Office for more information concerning this option. Allow at least 60 days to process a tuition discount request.
Faculty, staff, and their spouses must apply and be accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies prior to registering for courses. To apply for admission the following documents must be submitted:
- Adult Learner Application
- Transcript Request Form to obtain official transcript from all institutions attended
Faculty/Staff Members (summer session) dependents
This category is for the dependent of a faculty/staff member who is considered such by HR. The course credits are taken over the summer at a 50% discount (Vanderbilt tuition) and then have the credits be transferred to their home institution. This discount has no effect on the HR Tuition benefit, (8 term – 4 year) program rule. All “transient-student” criteria apply to students in this category.
For dependents to use this discount, they must be accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies at least 10 days prior to registering for courses. To apply for admission the following documents must be submitted:
- Transient Application for Faculty or Staff Dependant
- Statement of Good Standing and Permission form
- Tuition Benefits form must also be completed and returned to HR. Click here.
To continue to enroll in the Division, Faculty/staff and their spouses must be making satisfactory academic progress. Satisfactory progress is defined as:
- Maintaining a 2.0 GPA and earning no grade lower than a C on coursework taken while in the Division
- Meeting all prerequisites for courses taken
Full-time faculty, staff, and their spouses are permitted to audit one class free of charge each semester. To qualify for this benefit, the staff member must have completed the orientation and evaluation period and received approval from his/her supervisor. To apply to audit a course, the faculty/staff member must:
- Be a full-time, paid employee, eligible for all Vanderbilt University benefits.
- Contact the professor of the course to verify that class size and requirements are appropriate for auditors.
- Complete a Faculty Staff Audit Form
- Send the completed Audit form to the Office of the University Registrar, PMB 407701.
The names of faculty/staff auditors will not appear on class rolls and no official record will be kept of attendance.