Faculty or Staff Members
Faculty, staff, and their spouses, who are not pursuing a degree, may take courses for college credit through the Division of Unclassified Studies. Faculty, staff, and their spouses must apply and be accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies prior to registering for courses. All regular admission criteria apply to students in this category.
Faculty, staff, and their spouses who qualify can receive a tuition discount for one three-hour course each semester (including a fourth hour for lab, if required) and up to three courses per school year. Faculty and staff should contact the HR Benefits Office for more information concerning this option. Allow at least 60 days to process a tuition discount request.
- Adult Learner Application
- Transcript Request Form to request transcripts from all previous institutions attended
While enrolled as a student in the Division of Unclassified Studies, the following standards must be maintained:
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA and earn no grade lower than a “C” in a course taken while enrolled in the Division of Unclassified Studies
- Meet all prerequisites for courses in which you hope to enroll
- All tuition and fees must be paid in full at the time of registration. Students who have an outstanding balance from a prior term must pay that balance in full along with the current term’s tuition before they will be permitted to register.
Faculty/Staff Members (summer session) dependents
This category is for the dependent of a faculty/staff member who is considered such by HR. The course credits are taken over the summer at a 50% discount (Vanderbilt tuition) and then have the credits be transferred to their home institution. This discount has no effect on the HR Tuition benefit, (8 term – 4 year) program rule. All “transient-student” criteria apply to students in this category.
For dependents to use this discount, they must be accepted to the Division of Unclassified Studies at least 10 days prior to registering for courses. To apply for admission the following documents must be submitted:
- Transient Application for Faculty Staff Dependents
- Statement of Good Standing and Permission form
- Tuition Benefits form must also be completed and returned to HR.
Full-time faculty, staff, and their spouses are permitted to audit one class free of charge each semester. To qualify for this benefit, the faculty or staff member must have completed the orientation and evaluation period and received approval from his/her supervisor. To apply to audit a course, the faculty or staff member must:
- Be a full-time, paid employee, eligible for all Vanderbilt University benefits.
- Contact the professor of the course to verify that class size and requirements are appropriate for auditors.
- Complete a Faculty Staff Audit Form
- Send the completed Audit form to the Office of the University Registrar, PMB 407701.
The names of faculty or staff auditors will not appear on class rolls and no official record will be kept of attendance.