Office of the University Registrar

Home » Academic Records » Name Update

Name Update

A currently enrolled student may file a request for a name change with the Office of the University Registrar. Name change requests must be accompanied by supporting documentation such as:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Court Order
  • Divorce Decree
  • Marriage Certificate

Please note: A driver’s license or Social Security card is not valid documentation for a name change.

If the request for a name change is approved, the change will be made in the student records system. A note will appear on the transcript listing the student’s former name and the date the name change occurred.

Once students leave the university, they can make no further name changes to their academic records.

Please print the name change request form below and send to the Office of the University Registrar with documentation.

Name Change Request Form

Mail requests for name changes to:

Vanderbilt University
Office of the University Registrar
PMB 407701
110 21st Avenue South, Suite 110
Nashville, TN 37240-7701

Important note: If you are employed in any capacity at Vanderbilt, you must also report your name change and submit supporting documentation to the Human Resources Processing Office on the 9th floor of the Baker Building. The HR Personal Information Change Form is available online.

Preferred Name Request:

Currently enrolled students who wish to request that a preferred name appear on the class roll should complete the Preferred Name Form below:

Preferred Name Form